Members News – November 10, 2017
- On November 1, 2017, Deputy Chief Alex McMurray (Ret.) of the Durham Regional Police passed away. D/C McMurray served with the Durham RPS (formally the Ajax Police Department) for 33 years until his retirement in 1996. Our condolences to the McMurray family.
- Deputy Chief Mervyn Johnson (Ret.) of the London Police Service passed away on November 7, 2017. D/C Johnson served with the London Police Service for 36 years, retiring in 1991. Our thoughts are with his family.
- On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 1:00 p.m., the Ontario Police College (OPC) will be holding the OPC Basic Constable Training (BCT) March Past and Review Ceremony for classes BC-1721 to BC-1730. All police officers attending are requested to wear their No. 1 dress uniform. On this occasion 223 recruits are expected to be marching past. We would appreciate knowing the number of officers and staff attending this ceremony from your service, along with their names. Please RSVP to Sherrie Tonks at your earliest convenience at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 519-773-4201. Deadline to RSVP is Friday, November 24th.
- Congratulations to Chief Daniel Parkinson, Cornwall Community Police Service, who has announced that he will be retiring at the end of 2018. A former OACP President, Chief Parkinson is one of the most respected police leaders in Ontario and a great community policing advocate.
- Hearty congratulations also to Deputy Chief Danny Aikman, who has been named Chief Designate of the Cornwall Community Police Service.
- Effective January 1, 2018, St. Thomas Police Service’s Acting Chief, Chris Herridge, will become Chief of Police. After 34 years of dedicated police service with the St. Thomas Police Service, Deputy Chief Jeff Driedger has announced his retirement. Inspector Mark Roskamp has been named Acting Deputy Chief and Staff Sergeant Scott Barns has been promoted to the rank of Acting Inspector.
- The OACP’s 2018 Annual Committee Chairs is taking place on March 27 and 28, 2018. The meeting provides our Committee Chairs (or their designate) with the opportunity to meet with the OACP’s Executive and staff, connect with your fellow Committee Chairs, and discuss the issues your Committee is working on. This annual meeting is also an opportunity for the OACP to express its thanks for all the hard work you do on behalf of Ontario's police services!
- Members of the OACP Emergency Preparedness Committee will be meeting November 13 in Toronto. On the agenda are presentations on the Security Offences Act, Ontario Current Terrorism Threats, Unmanned Aerial Systems, and the IMS in Ontario Revitalization project (from Aileen Cassells, Deputy Chief, EM Operations). Want to stay ahead of the issues impacting policing? Join an OACP committee!
- The Ontario Association of Police Services Board's 2018 Spring Conference will be hosted at Blue Mountain, ON. Wednesday, May 23rd to Sunday May 26th, 2018.
- The Forensic Experiential Trauma Interview Conference is taking place from November 28 to 30, 2017. Internationally recognized sexual assault investigations expert and developer of the cutting-edge Forensic Experiential Trauma Interview, Special Agent (Retired) Russell W. Strand will present a three-day conference on sexual assault response, investigations, and prosecutions. Register today!
- Job Posting - Chief of Police, Windsor Police Service
- Job Posting – Director, Corporate Security, OMERS
- Job Posting – Deputy Chief, Orangeville Police Service
- Job Posting – Transit Safety Officer, Metrolinx