Members News – February 23, 2018
- Congratulations to Gary Reid, Chief of Police of the Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service, on his retirement. Chi-Miigwetch for 49 years of outstanding years of service!
- Norm Taylor has been retained by a consortium of interests (rail, police, and coroner) to help advance a comprehensive and consensus-based protocol for the response and investigation of railway deaths. This has been an elusive goal among the stakeholders for several years and the initiative seeks to move towards full adoption by way of an OACP Resolution, potentially an All Chiefs from the ADM’s office, and ultimately a CACP Resolution to take it national.
- The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police (CACP) is encouraging police services to participate in the second national Professionalism in Policing Survey, which opened up on-line February 1, 2018 and running to the end of May 2018. The second survey maintains a collaboration between the CACP Ethics Committee and Dr. Stephen Maguire of Carleton University. Results and recommendations from the first survey provided participating police agencies a window into how to improve professionalism and can be found at https://cacp.ca/professionalism-inpolicing.html.
- The Canadian Bankers Association (CBA) is now accepting nominations for the 2018 Canadian Banks’ Law Enforcement Award (CBLEA), which recognizes outstanding police work in fighting financial crime against Canada’ s banks and their customers. The award will be presented at the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police Conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia, August 2018. We encourage you to nominate any officers who are deserving of this award, and also ask that you share this information with others who may be interested. For more information, please click here.
- McClaren, Wilson & Lawrie (an architectural firm specializing in police facilities) is partnering with Niagara Regional Police Service to host an educational session entitled, “Planning and Design of Police Facilities.” This session is in the planning stage. More information will be made available on the OACP website when it becomes available.
- Job posting – Chief of Police, Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service.
- Job Posting - Chief of Police, Peterborough Police Service
- Please find below a list of upcoming Special Olympics events.
- This year is the 50th Anniversary year for Special Olympics with a National Event being held in Chicago July 20-22 2018
- May 29-31, 2018 Provincial School Championships - Peterborough
- May 14-20 National Games (Bowling only) – Charlottetown, PEI
- July 31 - Aug 4 National Games (all other sports) – Antigonish, Nova Scotia
- Jan 31-Feb 3 2019 Provincial Winter Games – Sault Ste. Marie
- May 14-17, 2019 International Youth Games – Toronto