Members News – February 17, 2017
- The OACP has endorsed a new video called “Newcomers to Canada”. The video is in Arabic and was developed by the Ontario Police Video Training Alliance. The aim of the video is to help new Canadians understand policing in our Province. Members may also want to check out a comprehensive Newcomer’s Guide from the RCMP-BC – Surrey (available in French, Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Punjabi and Farsi). This resource is available on-line at http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2165&languageId=1&contentId=-1.
- Serving With Pride (SWP), a network of LGBTQ police personnel across the province has launched a new “Employment” page on its website. Police services are invited to submit their current recruiting posters or advertisements so that SWP can host them on the website for the 400+ unique visitors that the network gets each and every week. SWP would also be proud to post any diversity or community events that services have. Alternatively, you can tag or tweet at SWP (@LGBTQ911) so that the network can retweet on your behalf. SWP is growing at a rapid rate and a lot of their success is due to the on-going support of Ontario’s police leaders for their efforts. Please contact SWP President Constable Brian Mitchell at email@example.com.
- As part of 2017 Police Week celebrations, the Brantford Police Service is hosting a Police Vehicle Show and Shine on, May 13, 2017. The event is open to all agencies and private citizens who own current and vintage Police vehicles; there is no entry fee and no limit on the number of vehicles an agency or individual may register. There will be three classes of vehicles for display - cruisers, motorcycles and special-purpose vehicles (armoured trucks, all-terrain, boats, etc.). This family friendly event will run rain or shine and proceeds form the day will benefit the Lansdowne Children Centre. For more information and to register, please contact either Cst. Sarah Seibert firstname.lastname@example.org or Cst. Scott Gibson email@example.com
- Job Posting: Deputy Chief, Niagara Regional Police Chief
- The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services sent a memorandum this week outlining workshop and webinars on grant repurposing and the Policing Effectiveness and Modernization (PEM) Grant. The first portion will include an overview of police services’ options for 2017/18 grant funding, which will provide assistance on selecting a funding option. For those who are interested in the PEM Grant, the second portion will provide an overview of PEM Grant criteria and support on completing applications. The workshop and webinars will take place on the following days:
- Webinar 1 (online):
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 Time: 10am – 12pm Contact: To register, please contact Silvana.Burke@Ontario.ca by 12:00pm on Friday, February 17, 2017.
Location: Forensic Services and Coroner's Complex (FSCC) 25 Morton Shulman Avenue, Toronto, M3M 0B1 Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017 Time: 10:00am - 2:00pm Contact: To register, please contact Silvana.Burke@Ontario.ca by 12:00pm on Friday, February 17, 2017.
*Note: police services, boards and municipalities will be limited to two-three representatives each.
Date: Monday, February 27, 2017 Time: 2pm – 4pm Contact: To register, please contact Silvana.Burke@Ontario.ca by 12:00pm on Friday, February 24, 2017. Additional information on the workshop and webinars will be provided upon notification of attendance.
If you have any questions, please contact Silvana.Burke@Ontario.ca or James.Y.Lee@Ontario.ca