Members News _July 7, 2017
- The OACP is sad to report the passing of Rudy Gheysen, former Chief of the Aylmer Police Service and Director of the Ontario Police College. Chief Gheysen passed away on July 5. Details on the funeral service are here.
- The Ministry of Transportation has announced a new Pilot Project Regulation under the Highway Traffic Act to permit low speed vehicles on Ontario’s Roads. The pilot will be done over a 10-year period.
- Members may wish to access a new PERF report about an important issue that has been in the news recently: the challenges associated with welcoming refugees into communities. This American report, Refugee Outreach and Engagement Programs for Police Agencies, is available here.
- OACP President, Chief Bryan Larkin, will participate on the kick-off of the 13 Annual National Peace Officers’ Memorial Run on September 21, 2017. The kick-off will take place at 8:00 a.m. on the grounds of the Ontario Police memorial at Queen’s Park in Toronto. Peace officers will run a total of 460 kms over three days as they make their way to the Canadian Police and Peace Officers Memorial on Parliament Hill, Ottawa.
- OACP Director of Government Relations and Communication, Joe Couto has embarked on a new research project entitled Gay. Female. Cop. The Intersectionality of Gender and Sexual Orientation in Police Culture. The purpose of the study, funded by the University of Guelph-Humber, is to research the challenges facing gay female police officers in Ontario and how they negotiate their workplace culture. Anyone interested in receiving more information, please contact Joe at ProfJC@protonmail.com.
- The Ontario Police College Basic Constable Training March Past and Review Ceremony for classes BC-1701 to BC-1710 will take place on Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.; all police officers attending are requested to wear their No. 1 dress uniform. On this occasion, 242 recruits are expected to be marching past. OPC would appreciate knowing the number of officers and staff attending this ceremony from your service, along with their names. Please RSVP to Sherrie Tonks at your earliest convenience at email@example.com or by phone 519-773-4201. Deadline to RSVP is July 20.
- Job Postings: