The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, the Ontario Media Relations Officers Network and the Ontario Police College are pleased to offer a one-week media relations officers course, specially designed for individuals with police services and justice-related organizations. This intensive, hands-on certificate course will prepare participants to master the basics of media relations.
The course will be taught by professionals working with police organizations and working journalists.
- Media relations basics
- Communications: it's not just media anymore!
- Legal issues impacting law enforcement and justice organizations (incl. public disclosure, rules of engagement, Freedom of Information and Special Investigation Unit issues)
- News release writing 101
- What journalists look for
- Media weapons at your disposal
- Broadcast media (intensive, before-the-camera training)
- Crisis communications and special events management
- Visit to a television station in London, ON to observe a news cast
Pre-Requisites: Assignment as a Media Relations Officer or significant participation in police/media relationships within the agency.
Assessment Standards: Full attendance and participation in classes, small and large group work and practical exercises.
Certification: Certificate will be issued by OACP on behalf of OPC, OACP and OMRON.
Class Size: 20 Participants
Dress: Uniform or court attire
Fees/Duration: $830 plus GST - 4.5 days of training
Cheques to be made payable to "OACP" and sent in with registration. Visa, MasterCard and AMEX are also accepted.
Please send registration application to OPC.
Please access the OPC website to register www.opconline.ca